2011 Introduction by Mick Morry

  Givenchy (Mick Morry 2011 introduction)  Tet (Salieri x Area-Fifty-One)

Dormant, Mid to late season, 5.5" x 32", 4 branches per scape,
16-20 buds,  Easily Fertile Both ways. Givenchy has
been giving me poly children...even though it does not poly itself.
This is Area-51's genes doing this
. $75 DBL fan.

The Battle of Givenchy (December 18-December 22, 1914) was a battle
fought during World War I as part of the First Battle of Champagne,
that saw an initially advancing British force face strong opposition
and counter-attack from a solidly entrenched German force around the
village of Givenchy.

With the French under heavy pressure at Arras the order was given that
the British force would provide relief by attacking the Germans around
Givenchy, thus preventing German reinforcement of Arras from that
quarter. Sharp fighting broke out on 19 December when Indian troops
from the Lahore division launched an attack, successfully capturing
two lines of German trenches. However their success was short-lived: a
prompt and aggressive counter-action pushed the Indian troops back out

The following day the British force was caught somewhat by surprise by
a heavy attack launched by the now reinforced Germans around Givenchy.
The force of the German attack was clearly focused against the
trenches held by the same Indian troops who had initiated operations
on the previous day.

Defensive tactics were severely hampered by the conditions of the
Indian trenches, heavily waterlogged as they were. Consequently the
German force broke through and managed to occupy part of Givenchy
until two British reserve battalions were brought into action, with
the result that the village was back in British hands by the close of
20 December.

Nevertheless the German counter-attacks continued and several salients
were driven into the British line until reinforcements from First Army
were brought up by Douglas Haig the following day. With the fresh
influx of men - relieving the Indian division - the line was restored
to its original position.

Thus fighting died down on 22 December with the opposing lines where
they had started. British casualties ran at twice those of the German
force: 4,000 against 2,000.

                        Click to go back to WW I Memorial Series